[ltp] XFree86, Gentoo, 760XL

Adam Southerland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:01:25 +0000

Some information and a question...

For the last year (on and off) I have been tinkering with trying to get a
later release of XFree86 to work on my laptop without success due to my
Trident Video Card not having a proper driver. (Note: I have also mostly
used Slackware in the past.)

This past week I installed Gentoo (2004.2) on my laptop. With it I installed
x11-base/xorg-x11 (6.7.0-r1)... Today I ran startx (without first running
the xorg-conf setup script) and interesting enough, it started a 640x480
desktop with TWM (Not sure on the color, maybe 8 bit?)

So it looks as though I can have a GUI now (not sure on that just yet)

My question is:
  Is this 'x11-base/xorg-x11' (6.7.0-r1) XFree86 4.x.x? or is it a clone of
that project?
And another - less likely of a response: Anyone have a config for this that
will work on my Laptop?

Thanks,
Adam Southerland (Micah)
[IBM Thinkpad 760 XL]

Gentoo - scripts/bootstrap.sh  --- Took 7 Days to compile!~