[ltp] advanced battery recharge management

Jan Kokoska linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:19:18 +0100

I don't think this matters with LiIon batteries (unlike NiMH or NiCd),
there is no "memory effect" as in "shrinking maximum capacity" anymore.
There is only "remember maximum capacity and don't go over this when
recharging" effect [0] and you are recommended to completely flush the
battery once in a while and completely recharge it afterwards, so it has
a clear idea of how much should it recharge next time (). For regular
use the recommendation is to recharge with 40% remaining with complete
flush once in a few months. This all applies to LiIon which is in all
recent models (I wonder where LiPol is hiding, though). I am sorry not
to include links to the research papers I read this in, as I kept no
links and you can Google it as well as myself.

Jan

[0] /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info gives you a good idea about this,
battery claims recarged and misses some 10% to factory capacity in my
case. This would get worse untill you do a complete discharge cycle.