[ltp] advanced battery recharge management

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:26:02 +0200

Hei,

On Sa, 2004-09-25 at 18:19 +0100, Jan Kokoska wrote:
> I don't think this matters with LiIon batteries (unlike NiMH or NiCd),
> there is no "memory effect" as in "shrinking maximum capacity" anymore.
> There is only "remember maximum capacity and don't go over this when
> recharging" effect [0] and you are recommended to completely flush the
> battery once in a while and completely recharge it afterwards, so it has
> a clear idea of how much should it recharge next time (). For regular
> use the recommendation is to recharge with 40% remaining with complete
> flush once in a few months. This all applies to LiIon which is in all
> recent models (I wonder where LiPol is hiding, though). I am sorry not
> to include links to the research papers I read this in, as I kept no
> links and you can Google it as well as myself.

from what i've read, LiIon batteries loose capacity through permanent
recharging when in almost full load state. This has nothing to do with
memory effect. On that basis the option really affects battery life,
since it avoids exactly that.

André.