[ltp] advanced battery recharge management

Jan Kokoska linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:15:21 +0100

My mistake, I completely misquoted the material, which I subsequently
managed to find online [0]. The 40% is there, but meaning something
else.

Quote:

Li-ion batteries are not as durable as NiMH and NiCd designs, although
they do not suffer from the memory effect. At a typical 100% charge
level (notebook battery, full most of the time) at 25 degrees
centigrade, Li-ion batteries irreversibly lose approximately 20%
capacity per year from the time they are manufactured, even when unused.
(6% at 0 degrees, 20% at 25 degrees, 35% at 40 degrees centigrade. When
stored at 40% charge level, these figures are reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at
0, 25 and 40 degrees centigrade respectively.) Every (deep) discharge
cycle decreases their capacity. The degradation is sloped such that 100
cycles leave the battery with about 75% to 85% of the original. When
used in notebook computers or cellular phones, this rate of
deterioration means that after two to three years the battery will have
capacities too low to be still usable.

--

Guidelines to prolonging Li ion battery life

      * Unlike nickel based rechargeable batteries (NiCd and NiMH), Li
        ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if
        they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a
        charge level of around 40%. Never use the battery care functions
        some cellular phones provide for nickel based batteries. (This
        will deep cycle the batteries.)

      * Li ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in
        a fridge. However, they should not freeze. Aging will take its
        toll much faster at high temperatures. Keeping them in burning
        hot cars can kill lithium ion batteries.

      * Buy Li ion batteries only when needed. Look at the manufacturing
        date. That is when the ageing process commenced.

      * When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power
        over extended periods, it is advisable to remove the battery and
        store it in a cool place.

--

[0] http://www.fact-index.com/l/li/lithium_ion_battery.html