[ltp] DVI monitor with Port Replicator

Paul R Streitman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:12:43 -0400

I am using a DVI monitor (IBM T860 flat panel) right now, connected to a
T40p via a port replicator.  The only thing I did special was to tell the
BIOS to use the DVI.  When I am using only the thinkpad, I get the expected
1400x1050 display and when I use the external monitor I get the expected
1280x1024 display.

I am running Mandrake Cooker, with my own kernel (2.6.9-rc2-mm3) and my own
compile of xorg 6.8 (although the 6.7 in Mandrake Cooker also worked).  I
chose the (new) radeon framebuffer driver along with the appropriate other
options.  I am not using ATI's fglrx driver, as the acceleration from the
xorg driver is sufficient for my purposes.

I can not run tpctl -- the thinkpad package will not compile on my system.

                                                              Thanks,
                                                                Paul
z/OS core components development
Internet: prs@us.ibm.com

             Joachim Breitner
             <mail@joachim-bre
             itner.de>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
             linux-thinkpad-ad                                          cc
             min@linux-thinkpa
             d.org                                                 Subject
                                       [ltp] DVI monitor with Port
                                       Replicator
             09/25/2004 09:02
             PM

             Please respond to
              linux-thinkpad

Hi,

me again, other Port Replicator problem: I can't get the fglrx driver to
notice my Flatpanel is there. I'm not going to bug you with my details
(yet), but if anyone here has a DVI monitor and a thinkpad, could you
please tell us what tpctl --id reveals?

Here, it says
information about display:
   panel type:                          3 (i.e, color TFT LCD)
   panel dimension:                     4 (unrecognized code)
   monitor type:                        0 (i.e., no CRT attached)
   monitor has DDC1 capability?:        N
   monitor has DDC2 capability?:        N
strangely, I have it seen with a Y for DDC2 with the same setup, but
still a monitor type of 0.

Any other hints very welcome, too, of course!

With regards,
Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner