[ltp] linux problem, hard drive problem or motherboard problem

Jan Kokoska linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:24:03 +0100

The only similar problem I have ever seen on my ThinkPad was when I
disabled HPA (Host Protected Area) or "Predesktop Area" as IBM calls it
in BIOS and tried to use the space... unfortunately the very creating of
filesystem, or actually writing inode superblocks after the start of HPA
caused bad errors just like you report, filling my S.M.A.R.T. log. After
a few more tries I gave up and let the machine hog 3 gigs of my space..
not worth the bother. No problems with hdd ever since. Make sure where
you're writing if you have HPA.

Jan