[ltp] A22p, broken fan, need advice

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:46:00 -0400

The fan on my A22p has been making strange noises in the last few days.  =
Now
it has completely seized up.  The CPU's still OK as I can get into the BI=
OS
Setup without difficulty, but any attempt to boot from the hard disk lead=
s to
a BIOS-supplied "Fan error.  Press F1 to enter Setup." message.

Went to IBM's website and found a list of FRUs for the A22p.  "Fan assemb=
ly"
was on there, and they even had a part number.  (They say it isn't
customer-replaceable, but I have tools and the machine's warranty has bee=
expired for 1.5 years now.)  Unfortunately, IBM's "order parts by part nu=
mber"
says the part isn't available.  So: can I obtain the part, or would I be
better off finding the nearest IBM Service Center and paying for the Fiel=
Circus to do their thing?  I'm not worried about the data on the hard dis=
(regular backups) but money's kind of tight right now.

FWIW, this is the only problem I've ever had with this machine.  Linux wo=
rks
with almost every hardware component (even the WinModem); only TV-out is =
not
supported and I could get that by using the VESA X server. Whatever they =
did
when they built the A22p, they did it right.

-- =

Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data....=
"