[ltp] Dual monitor setup on T42p, anyone?

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:45:12 -0400

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:51:57 -0700, Yury Prilutsky <tp40@blin.com> wrote:
> On Monday 27 September 2004 06:31 am, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:21:36 -0700, Yury Prilutsky <tp40@blin.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > has anybody successfully configured T42p for a dual-head setup? I've had
> > > it running (with Xinerama) nicely on a T40p but can't get anywhere with a
> > > new T42p.  The best I can get is a copy image on the external monitor
> > > (Xorg still says the second monitor is missing). Fn-F7 works as expected
> > > in the console mode (pre-X). If I startx while the console is only shown
> > > on the laptop screen the (X) image on the external monitor is blurry. If
> > > I have the console on both screens when starting X, the image on both
> > > screens is OK.

> > it looks like your outputs are either wired in reverse or they are
> > coming up swapped.
>
> Thanks Alex, but I am not sure I understand this.
> Are you suggesting the problem is with the unit/model/BIOS or the driver/X
> mis-interpreting the data?

I the default controller to output mapping can change depending on the
bios,etc.  I'm not sure the current xorg radeon driver properly
handles lvds or tmds on the second controller.

> > You might try changing the output type in the bios
> > from dvi to vga if you have the option, or try switching the
> > monitorlayout option to "crt, lvds" assuming it didn't work with
> > "lvds, crt".
>
> I tried "crt, lvds". That gives me just the picture on the external display.
> The laptop screen is black.

try changing the output to vga or crt in the bios if it is set to dvi.
 that may fix the mapping.

Alex