[ltp] Re: Wireless on A30 (2652 3CU)

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:28:10 +1000

On 28 Sep 2004, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I'm trying to get my wireless card working on a model A30.  It has the
> Harris Prism 2.5 card, and I'm running Debian/Sarge, Kernel 2.6.7

Lucky you, you have a card that is pretty easy to support. :)

> I really don't know how to begin.  I'm reading the docs for the
> linux-wlan-ng modules but, I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel.

I wouldn't recommend bothering with the linux-wlan-ng modules at all.

The 'orinoco_pci' driver in the kernel distribution will work just fine
with the card, although it didn't[1] support scanning or software AP
mode.

Alternately, grab the 'hostap' driver and follow their instructions to
get it installed and running.

Er, using the in-kernel driver is definitely the easiest path to follow,
though. :)

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...and may still not.  IIRC, patches were header to the kernel to
     add scanning support, though.

--
The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in Wonderland";
but that's because it's the best book on anything for the layman.