[ltp] Re: Wireless on A30 (2652 3CU)

Jay Strauss linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:53:24 -0500

From: "Daniel Pittman" <daniel@rimspace.net>
To: <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 11:28 PM
Subject: [ltp] Re: Wireless on A30 (2652 3CU)

> On 28 Sep 2004, Jay Strauss wrote:
> > I'm trying to get my wireless card working on a model A30.  It has
the
> > Harris Prism 2.5 card, and I'm running Debian/Sarge, Kernel 2.6.7
>
> Lucky you, you have a card that is pretty easy to support. :)
>
> > I really don't know how to begin.  I'm reading the docs for the
> > linux-wlan-ng modules but, I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel.
>
> I wouldn't recommend bothering with the linux-wlan-ng modules at all.
>
> The 'orinoco_pci' driver in the kernel distribution will work just
fine
> with the card, although it didn't[1] support scanning or software AP
> mode.
>
> Alternately, grab the 'hostap' driver and follow their instructions to
> get it installed and running.
>
> Er, using the in-kernel driver is definitely the easiest path to
follow,
> though. :)
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel

Daniel,

I'm not sure I follow exactly.  Are you saying I can use 3 different
modules to run the wireless card:

orinoco_pci
hostap
linux-wlan-ng

Which of these is the "in-kernel" driver to which you refer?
Also, what is "software AP"?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of one module over the other

Thank you
Jay