[ltp] Re: Wireless on A30 (2652 3CU)

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:19:41 +1000

On 28 Sep 2004, Jay Strauss wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> I'm not sure I follow exactly.  Are you saying I can use 3 different
> modules to run the wireless card:
>
> orinoco_pci
> hostap
> linux-wlan-ng

Yes, that is correct.  All three of these drivers will work correctly
with the Prism 2.5 wireless chipset, as I understand things.

I never used the wlan-ng code, but have seen others report success with
it.  I have certainly used the others with success.

> Which of these is the "in-kernel" driver to which you refer?

The driver supplied in the kernel distribution.  Specifically, the
orinoco_pci driver, as I mentioned above.  Perhaps I was not clear
enough about that, though.

> Also, what is "software AP"?

AP stands for "Access Point".  You probably know what a wireless access
point is;  the "software AP" allows your Linux system to act as an
access point.

> What are the advantages/disadvantages of one module over the other

hostap supports scanning, allowing kismet, airsnort, and related tools
to scan for wireless networks in the area.

hostap supports "software AP" mode, allowing your laptop to act as a
wireless access point, etc.

orinoco_pci is supplied with the kernel, so you don't need an external
patch.

        Daniel
--
Of the many unforeseen consequences of typography, the emergence of
nationalism is, perhaps, the most familiar.