[ltp] Re: Serial port for a T40

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:12:25 +1000

On 29 Sep 2004, Joan Roig Amorós wrote:
> I don't need a powered hub, I only want to transfer waypoints from/to the
> GPS, a simple Garmin eTrex,  once in a while.
> So, you think that just a USB to serial cable will do?

Probably.  Most of the USB serial cables have a limited set of control
lines that you can manage from Linux, unfortunately.

So, if your GPS requires careful, or software, control of sending
breaks, use of the RTS/CTS lines, or something like that you may hit
problems.

If all you require is an async serial port without anything fancy,
though, it should just work.

> will it be difficult to setup?

No, not if it is going to work at all.  Just plug it in, then talk to
the USB serial port like any other serial port.

> Will the GPS appear as a USB device?

ttyU<n>, where <n> is a number, I believe.

> and since we are at it, any recommendations regarding linux software
> for waypoint transfer?

I am afraid that I do not know.

  Daniel
--
Art is moral passion married to entertainment. Moral passion
without entertainment is propaganda, and entertainment without