[ltp] Re: Wireless on A30 (2652 3CU)

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:34:22 +1000

On 29 Sep 2004, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> On 28 Sep 2004, Jay Strauss wrote:

[...]

> I've got the card running using the orinoco_pci driver.  Not too hard
> either.

Ah, good.  Glad to hear it.  I did that for a long while, and eventually
moved to the HostAP driver to gain scanning support which...

> I'm not sure what kismet and airsnort, but I'll go read about them.

...kismet is.  Basically, kismet allows you to look for wireless
networks in the area.  Not only the public ones, but any wireless your
card can pick up, including other hosts and the like.

In my case this was useful to implement scanning for rogue wireless
access in our organization, where policy made that necessary.

For day to day use there isn't much difference - both can list local
access points equally well.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
You do ill to praise, but worse to censure, what you do not understand.
        -- Leonardo da Vinci