[ltp] Serial port for a T40

Jeffrey Veiss linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 05:46:16 -0600 (MDT)

---1463811583-2083451783-1096458376=:1549

Hi Joan,

I had/have the same predicament when I upgraded from a T20 to a T42.
I use the serial port quite heavily and it was a serious drawback of
the T42 (but of course there were lots of other things to make it
worthwhile) including the following:

  o Connecting my GPS to download maps and waypoints via Garmin
    software

  o Connecting my GPS to MS Streets & Trips

  o Connecting to a Sun or Cisco serial console

  o Connecting to my HP palmtop

and others.  I did a lot of research and found that the most
recommended was the Keyspan USB to Serial connector Model #USA-19HS
particularly because they also provide Linux drivers though it's
said newer kernels will recognize it right away.

I just purchased one from EBay yesterday and will report to the list my
findings when I receive it.

James,

I have played with my GPS on various trips (particularly international)
with no complains.  It's hard to get a signal unless you're right by
the window but since a GPS only receives and doesn't transmit like a
cell phone, no one really should complain.

-Jeff

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, James McKenzie wrote:

> Joan:
>
> Do you plan on using the GPS unit only when you are home or otherwise
> connected to a mains (AC) power source?  If that is the case, then get th=
> dock.  If not, get a USB to Serial convertor with a 4 port hub, either US=
B 1.1