[ltp] Re: Wireless on A30 (2652 3CU)

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:26:35 +1000

On 29 Sep 2004, Jan Kokoska wrote:
>> In my case this was useful to implement scanning for rogue wireless
>> access in our organization, where policy made that necessary.
>
> Stealing bandwidth is business-wise of course the smaller problem. Your
> organization's data are probably of some reasonable value and chances
> are you don't want people's e-mail passwords flying through the air
> plain-text every 5 minutes or so, depending on their client settings.
> (Like my neighbor does, for instance. Plus he has a lame password.)
>
> I was flabbergasted to find out my previous employer didn't even bother
> with supporting SSL in Outlook's Web Access, considered what sorts of
> data were passing through mailboxes there.
>
> You are quite likely running it already, but my advice is definitely VPN
> (IPsec.. ) if you must run WiFi for business communication at all.

Actually, that was a former place of work, so no longer my problem,
but...

...if we /had/ found someone turning on wireless access in the place
they would have had a permanent record of the disciplinary action in
their personnel file the first time, and be summarily booted out the
second.

Health related work has real security requirements associated. :)

       Daniel
--
Nothing is more beautiful than the loveliness of the woods before sunrise.
        -- George Washington Carver