[ltp] VMWare and Windows Thinkpad Tools

Job de Haas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:13:43 +0200

Hi,

> Thus, while I was thinking about installing VMWare, this question came
> to my mind whether it is possible to use these tools to configure the
> Thinkpad. In my knowledge, VMWare emulates a generic computer which
> would mean that it is not possible to use special devices (and the
> software to access these devices or functions).

No the general thinkpad features don't work from VMWARE. It is a
virtualized general PC like you state. I've been attempting to run a
dual boot configuration with the preinstalled XP, but that failed.

The idea was to run the same XP from vmware as through native boot, but
there is a conflict with devices that causes the vmware boot to
bluescreen and crash. This is a known issue, and some possible
workarounds seem to be known for win 2K, but I did not get them to work
on XP.

I now access the preinstalled XP drive directly as a secondary raw disk
under my virtual XP. Then you need to be really carefull closing the
vmware windows properly before booting to XP natively. If you just
suspend the vmware XP, it will result in disk errors (which is not so
strange).

Regards,

Job