[ltp] Suspend woes and strange hardware quirks

John Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:14:32 -0700

Hello,

Thanks for all your help. The advice given here has definitely gotten me
closer, but I'm still not quite there...

André Wyrwa wrote:

>Hei,
>
>it seems to me that all of your three suspend/resume problems should be
>solvable by compiling the according drivers as modules and unloading
>them before suspend / reloading after. These problems (with also, usb
>and network drivers) have been reported a lot here.
>
>So reconfigure your kernel, set these drivers to modules, recompile and
>adjust your /etc/acpi/actions scripts to unload/reload the modules. I'm
>sorry i can't give you detailed information on that for i'm not a
>mandrake user and i only half adjusted my own scripts so far.

Okay. I did that, except for Alsa, and now my USB mouse is detected on
startup again. I'm still having a couple of weird quirks though.

I think one of the issues is the Madwifi driver. If I unload the USB
modules, unload the madwifi modules, and power off the Alsa driver,
everything suspends and resumes perfectly--until I start using
networking again.

When I reload the madwifi modules and associate, it works until I start
using the network. The first bit of traffic comes through (pings,
initial connections, etc), but as soon as my IMAP connection starts
downloading messages, the USB mouse dies, sound quits, and the wireless
connection can't seem to detect any access points anymore--just like before.

Now, however, I can suspend/resume, and USB and sound come back just
fine--before, once they were hosed, it would eventually result in a
locked machine. If I just unload/reload modules, they don't recover, but
after a suspend, they do...

I've updated the Madwifi sources, but am currently having trouble
compiling it. Will try the Madwifi list for that.

The other issue I'm seeing now is this:

Sep 29 09:45:36 hunter kernel: smapi: 32-bit protected mode SMAPI BIOS
found. :-)
Sep 29 09:45:36 hunter kernel: smapi: SMAPI BIOS return codes differ!

Not sure if this is the Thinkpad module or the ibm_acpi module.

One other thing: I have it successfully suspending to RAM when I close
the lid. Is it possible to have it resume when I open it, like it does
in Windows? If so, how?

Thanks,
--
John Locke
Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems