[ltp] Help, Wireless on a Thinkpad Running SuSE

Ken Firestone linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:58:04 -0700 (PDT)

I recently loaded SuSE 9.1 on my new Thinkpad X31, and I am having a
problem with the wireless card, the Intel minipci 2100. SuSE includes
the module for this card, and yast detected and "configured" it. I
made sure all the firmware modules were on the computer. However this
is from dmesg when I modprobe the module:

Detected ipw2100 PCI device at 0000:02:02.0, dev: eth1, mem:
0xC0210000-0xC0210FFF -> e98c1000, irq: 11
eth1: Using hotplug firmware load.
eth1: Firmware not available or load failed
eth1: ipw2100_get_firmware failed: -2
eth1: Failed to power on the adapter.
eth1: Failed to start the firmware.
ipw2100: probe of 0000:02:02.0 failed with error -5

Any ideas?

BTW, the Knoppix 3.6 disk detects, and properly sets up this device,
and does it with a 2.4 kernel! And, yes I am considering blowing away
SuSE and going with a Knoppix/Debian install. But I would like to see
if I can get SuSE going first.

If you respond to me offline I will summarize and post.

Thanks.