[ltp] CPU Speed T40p

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:29:34 -0500

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 21:48 -0500, Justin Lintz wrote:
> I just noticed my cpu speed increases with the load also but is there
> anyway I can have it only do this when it's running on battery.  I'd
> like to have it run at full speed when I have the cord plugged in.  Or
> is this what everyone has configured to keep the laptop running cool
> and the fan off.
it's generally considered a bit rude to hijack a thread...

it sounds like you want to control the governor on your cpu.
you can max out the cpu when on ac power if you like by
doing

echo 'performance'
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

then to go back to on demand do

echo 'ondemand' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

your distro probably has some kind of script system that run on acpi
events (in debian the events are in /etc/apci/events)

brad