[ltp] CPU Speed T40p

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:10:31 -0500 (EST)

On Apr 1, 2005 at 12:56 PM, Justin Lintz wrote:
>I just noticed my cpu speed increases with the load also but is there
>anyway I can have it only do this when it's running on battery.  I'd
>like to have it run at full speed when I have the cord plugged in.  Or
>is this what everyone has configured to keep the laptop running cool
>and the fan off.

Why do you want to do this?  The cpuspeed daemon is pretty good at delivering the performance you need when you need it.  Running at full speed all the time when on AC power may reduce the life of the PC because it will run hotter (this is just speculation, but would seem to make sense).  One thing for sure is that you'll be running LOUDER as your fan will be on constantly.

If you still want to do it, the following command will make your CPU run at full speed all the time:
# killall -s SIGUSR1 cpuspeed

To check the CPU speed,
#cat /proc/cpuinfo

To set it to run at the lowest CPU speed all the time, do this:
# killall -s SIGUSR2 cpuspeed

To return it to dynamic speed scaling,
# killall -s SIGHUP cpuspeed

Have fun!!

This message was sent using TotalOffice.com -- Secure, encrypted webmail with the look and feel of a desktop application.
http://www.totalinfosecurity.com