[ltp] X31/2200 now wants a cable

Allen Knutson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 05:17:35 -0700 (PDT)

For a few hours, I managed to get the

  % lspci | grep Wireless
  02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corp. Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)

working on my X31. I can still "iwlist scan" and see my router (and up
to eight others!). But now when I try to bring it up, I get

  % ifup eth1
  Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present.  Check cable?

(which, of course, makes no sense). The only things I suspect I was
fiddling with were ESSID things so that I would stop taking the neighbor's
bandwidth.

% more /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
# Intel Corp.|Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:0e:e7:82:0f:53
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Wireless
IPV6INIT=no
ESSID=allenkwireless
CHANNEL=1
MODE=Managed
RATE=Auto

I've tried other MODEs. I'm probably including useless information above
and withholding the crucial bit; the main thing is that it did work for
a short while. Any tips would be appreciated.			Allen K.