[ltp] frequent black screen on start-up, good later on

Mack Stevenson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:29:11 +0200

Dear all:

I used Linux on my T21 for three years without any hiccups. Then as many
others I was seduced by Apple's new offerings... I'm now returning to Linux
(new job), and thus returned to my trusty old thinkpad, which still works
like a charm (well, almost!).

Now I am running kernel 2.6.11 (slackware) and I've reproduced my old setup.
Tt runs as nicely as it always did, except for the screen: when I boot, it
often stays black. Most of the time it lights up in the middle of the Linux
boot process, sometimes not at all (in those cases I log in blindly and
shutdown the system).

Pointing a lamp directly at the screen l've noticed that the screen is not
really *off*: it is just incredibly dimmed. I can see the text scroll by,
and the colorful IBM logo is also visible right after booting.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Can this be a hardware problem,
even if the screen works perfectly when it is "lighted"? Or is my
configuration at fault? I only run Linux on the t21, so I can't tell you how
the Windows boot process goes. Can you think of possible reasons as to why I
am having this trouble? I remember installing lilo on the MBR; do you think
this might be the reason?

I have really come to appreciate this great laptop - which does everything I
need and, performance-wise, is perfect for me - and therefore I don't really
feel like spending $2k on a new one.

Thank you in advance for any tip.

Best,

Mack