[ltp] Re: S3 suspend on the R51: Success stories?

ibert linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 20:08:23 +0200

Am Montag, 4. April 2005 19:17 schrieb Jan Girlich:
> ibert schrieb:
> > And once again: it [APM] works really fine. I never had such a good
> > performance with ACPI...
>
> Okay, I'm thinking about deactivating ACPI. But what about ibm-acpi? Can
> I use it when I deactivate ACPI?

I don=C2=B4t have any experience with ibm-acpi yet, sorry

> And all the other features like the power-button event and so on?

The main thing for me is that I want to close the lid, and open it as often=
 as=20
I want without any problems. The wake up takes about 3 seconds until all=20
services & modules like the ipw2100 or openvpn (which I use to protect my=20
wlan) are up and running.

So I don=C2=B4t need the power button at all (except in rare moments I have=
 shut=20
down the machine - but I never turn it off, except I stay out without it fo=
r=20
more than two days)

> What about power-consumption? Is there any difference in
> power-consumption between ACPI and APM?

The only thing I can say is that during suspend about 1% of power is used p=
er=20
hour. I work with my battery about 3 hours, including a lot of wlan-traffic.

> To me it seems like ACPI is much more advanced than APM.

yes thats true. But I don=C2=B4t have the time to play around a lot at the =
moment.=20
APM was much more quicker for me to get it running - with a stable resume.

Here=C2=B4s a link a R51 config page. Based on your distri, you have to cho=
ose what=20
you need.
http://www.antrix.net/stuff/suse_thinkpad/

ibert