[ltp] frequent black screen on start-up, good later on

Sebastian Voitzsch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:20:10 +0200

Am Montag, 4. April 2005 18:29 schrieb Mack Stevenson:
> Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Can this be a hardware proble=
m,
> even if the screen works perfectly when it is "lighted"? Or is my
> configuration at fault? I only run Linux on the t21, so I can't tell you
> how the Windows boot process goes. Can you think of possible reasons as to
> why I am having this trouble? I remember installing lilo on the MBR; do y=
ou
> think this might be the reason?

My bet is one of the backlight components. This may be the inverter, the la=
mp=20
itself or the flex cable between the laptop and the screen. First, you shou=
ld=20
download the maintenance manual for your model and locate these parts. See =
if=20
you=B4re able to change the parts by yourself. If yes, get an cheap inverte=
r=20
and cable on ebay, should be less than $ 50 for both. If that doesn=B4t sol=
ve=20
the problem, sell the parts and get the lamp replaced by a service center. =
I=20
wouldn=B4t recommend to change the lamp by yourselfs as you need to disasse=
mble=20
the lcd panel partly. Any mistakes will might lead to an uneven brightness.

Regards,
Sebastian