[ltp] frequent black screen on start-up, good later on

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 20:20:22 -0400

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 01:50:50 +0200
"Mack Stevenson" <mackstevenson@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >2) Disassemble the laptop and reseat the internal connectors for the
> >screen (sometimes failing backlights are caused by loose connectors).
> >IBM's hardware maintenance manuals are good and available as PDF files
> >on IBM's web site - they'll show you exactly how to remove/replace
> >parts.  Do only if the laptop's NOT under warranty.

> I followed your advice and I read through IBM's manual for this model
> (T21,
> http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4UYM3F).

> "Reseat LCD connectors" is indeed the first recommended solution for
> these  symptoms. I'd like to ask you two questions:

> - The section on LCD assembly (p. 125 of the PDF file, 119 printed),
> which  explains how to separate the LCD from the rest of the machine,
> does not  explicitly state how to "reseat the connectors". What exactly
> must I do  after having dettached the LCD?

You may not actually have to remove the LCD itself to get to the
connectors.  If the connector is loose, unplugging/replugging the
connectors may fix your problem without you having to remove the whole LCD
assembly.  Sorry I can't be much more specific, but I don't own a T-series
machine (I'm using an X22 these days).  My guess is that you can access
the LCD cables by removing the keyboard.  The connections to the
inverter might be trickier, since it's probably under the screen's plastic
frame.  (Anyone with a T2X series laptop want to chime in here? :) )

> - The manual states that screws in thinkpads are "one-time use only";
> should  expect trouble from trying to rescrew those in my laptop?

Never had a problem with this on my Thinkpads (and every Thinkpad I've
owned has been taken apart at least once).  The screws seem to have a blue
coating that I suppose is there to keep the screws in as tight as
possible.  I've had no problems unscrewing and reinstalling those screws
in my machines.

By the way, searching Ebay for "T21 LCD" brings up several complete lids.
This is probably the *easiest* way to fix your machine if the backlight
is going bad (might not be the cheapest - The cheapest Buy It Now was
$119 for a complete top with a few pressure marks on it).
.
*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/