[ltp] GRUB crash

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:03:02 -0400

--------------020609080705030102000208

Alex Deucher wrote:

>On Apr 5, 2005 9:27 AM, Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net> wrote:
>

>> Alex Deucher wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 4, 2005 11:39 PM, Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net> wrote:
>>

>> I just had one of my systems crash ( badly ) and
>>now it boots up to "GRUB " and hangs right there.
>>This box uses the W2K boot loader if that makes
>>any difference.
>>Has anyone on the list seen this one before?
>>
>>Thanks,
>> Bert
>>

>> Does grub chainload ntldr or vice versa?
>> This box came with W2k so it does start with NT and boot.ini
>>
>> It sounds like perhaps your
>>MBR got messed up. you can boot off a linux cd and assuming you want
>>grub int he mbr, run either grub-install /dev/hda (or whatever your
>>drive is) or install from the grub terminal.
>>
>>rough steps:
>>
>>boot linux cd.
>>switch to a shell
>>mount your linux paritions
>>chroot to your installation
>>run grub and re-install from the grub terminal or run grub-install
>>(see grub manual for more info)
>> Thanks, Alex, I will try this today.
>>   Bert
>>

>if you have grub installed on the primary linux partition make sure to
>install it there rather than in the MBR or you may hose your ntldr
>setup.

It did put it in to the MBR but I can get back to ntldr by selecting "dos".
So at least  I'm up and running again.
I really don't use the (B)ill (S)teve os much anymore so the Linux boot
is fine (now).
Thanks,
    Bert

>Alex
>

>>Alex

--------------020609080705030102000208

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Alex Deucher wrote:<br>
 cite="mida728f9f9050406102832b0d620@mail.gmail.com">
  <pre wrap="">On Apr 5, 2005 9:27 AM, Bert Haskins <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:bhaskins@chartermi.net">&lt;bhaskins@chartermi.net&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">

 Alex Deucher wrote:

 On Apr 4, 2005 11:39 PM, Bert Haskins <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:bhaskins@chartermi.net">&lt;bhaskins@chartermi.net&gt;</a> wrote:

[...]

setup.</pre>
It did put it in to the MBR but I can get back to ntldr by selecting
"dos".<br>
So at least&nbsp; I'm up and running again.<br>
I really don't use the (B)ill (S)teve os much anymore so the Linux boot
is fine (now).<br>
Thanks,<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; Bert<br>