[ltp] T42 and ipw2200 association to access point

Jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:12:57 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, David de Hoog wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm running Debian testing on a T42 2378-JZM which has the Intel 2200BG
> wifi adapter. I've been using the ipw2200 driver without a hitch until
> this morning. I have used the contributed debian ipw2200-source package,
> and have simply used module-assistant to update the driver as and when
> updates occur.
>
> This morning I downloaded the new source package, built it fine, and
> re-loaded the module only to discover that I could no-longer associate
> with an access point. Although `iwlist eth1 scanning` showed the access
> point, and although I'd configured the essid and the WEP key, I could
> not associate. (This was version 1.0.2, whereas I had previously used
> 1.0.0) I used the same firmware, version 2.2 (latest) with both module
> versions.
>
> There's no error in dmesg or syslog ... and I'm a bit stumped ...
>
> Has anyone else had similar problems ?
>
> (I've since downgraded to 1.0.2 vanilla, and 1.0.1 in an attempt to get
> online and neither of these versions were able to associate. I'm using
> 1.0.0 vanilla now, without any problems at all)
>
> Cheers
> --
> David de Hoog <dehood01@student.uwa.edu.au>

Hi David,

I've had similar issues with this version of the driver.
Unfortunately, I can't offer you an explanation nor a reliable
solution but what I've found to get it to work is to use the load
script instead of modprobe that comes with the driver distribution
to load the driver, then sometimes I need to run iwconfig eth1 essid
<> a few times to get it to stick.  If that fails and you've been
trying a few things to get it to associate, try rebooting.  I've
found that many times it'll associate right up after a fresh reboot.

I think where things may get messed up is switching from one wireless
network to another and an extra reboot (at least to me) seems to help.

Maybe someone who's more familiar with how wireless works on Linux can
give a more reliable explanation and/or solution?

Thank you very much!

-Jeff