[ltp] T42 and ipw2200 association to access point

Michael Gaber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:17:50 +0200

Jeff wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, David de Hoog wrote:
>

>>Hi all
>>
>>I'm running Debian testing on a T42 2378-JZM which has the Intel 2200BG
>>wifi adapter. I've been using the ipw2200 driver without a hitch until
>>this morning. I have used the contributed debian ipw2200-source package,
>>and have simply used module-assistant to update the driver as and when
>>updates occur.
>>
>>This morning I downloaded the new source package, built it fine, and
>>re-loaded the module only to discover that I could no-longer associate
>>with an access point. Although `iwlist eth1 scanning` showed the access
>>point, and although I'd configured the essid and the WEP key, I could
>>not associate. (This was version 1.0.2, whereas I had previously used
>>1.0.0) I used the same firmware, version 2.2 (latest) with both module
>>versions.
>>
>>There's no error in dmesg or syslog ... and I'm a bit stumped ...
>>
>>Has anyone else had similar problems ?
>>
>>(I've since downgraded to 1.0.2 vanilla, and 1.0.1 in an attempt to get
>>online and neither of these versions were able to associate. I'm using
>>1.0.0 vanilla now, without any problems at all)
>>
>>Cheers
>>--
>>David de Hoog <dehood01@student.uwa.edu.au>
>

> Hi David,
>
> I've had similar issues with this version of the driver.
> Unfortunately, I can't offer you an explanation nor a reliable
> solution but what I've found to get it to work is to use the load
> script instead of modprobe that comes with the driver distribution
> to load the driver, then sometimes I need to run iwconfig eth1 essid
> <> a few times to get it to stick.  If that fails and you've been
> trying a few things to get it to associate, try rebooting.  I've
> found that many times it'll associate right up after a fresh reboot.
>
> I think where things may get messed up is switching from one wireless
> network to another and an extra reboot (at least to me) seems to help.
>
> Maybe someone who's more familiar with how wireless works on Linux can
> give a more reliable explanation and/or solution?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> -Jeff

i don't know about how dibian handles this, but at least in gentoo there
is a startup script for the ntwork-interfaces you want to have up on
boot time.

if you rerun this init-script (via /etc/init.d/net.ath0 restart) it
solves this problem at least for me (with a different card) but
nevertheless, i sometimes have the same problem after switching WLANs