[ltp] R51 - OSD not working

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 18:49:33 -0400

On Friday 08 April 2005 18:07, after a long battle with technology, Ingo
van Lil wrote:
> On 08 Apr 2005, Florian Dorpmueller wrote:
> > When I tap "tpb -v" I receive:
> > "xosd is not able to be initialized and OSD is not possible."
> Do you run tpb as the user who owns the X server or as root? If you
> want to access the X server as root you have to allow it first
> (xhost +local:root) and set the DISPLAY environment variable

Er.  In a lot of distros these days, X is started with "-nolisten tcp"
by default.  This makes it impossible to do the old "xhost +localhost ;
export DISPLAY=localhost:0" thing, since X is not listening for TCP at
all.

You can change this by editing the Xservers file
( /usr/kde/3.3/share/config/kdm/Xservers on my machine, YMMV if you're
not running KDE) and removing -nolisten tcp from the line(s)
controlling the local X display.

> Simply running tpb as user spares you from all this trouble.

Aye.  Do that.

--
   That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
   --Trevor Goodchild, AEon Flux