[ltp] Mails from ATI about the Suspend-To-Ram problem with fglrx drivers

Nils linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 09:29:36 +0200

> What has been your makeshift solution in the meanwhile.  I am switching
> to ACPI from APM because I was getting random crashing and didn't like
> the power usage from APM when I knew it should a lot better.  So far
> today in searching these forums, the only solution I see that still uses
> fglrx is to kill the X server prior to suspending, followed by starting
> it right after resuming, is this the case, or do you have a different
> makeshift solution?
>
> Mario

I am sorry I haven't a good solution. In the moment I use acpi (boot option:
acpi_sleep=s3_bios) with the XFree/Xorg radeon driver (and radeonfb for my
console). This is working perfrectly, but without 3D acceleration. If I need
3D acceleration I  boot with the option video=radeonfb:off . You don't need a
reboot if you do not use the radeonfb.Then I restart my X-Server with the
fglrx. Play a game .... After this I close the X-Server and restart with the
radeon driver. (Sometimes you need to reboot) Now everything is working.
Okay, it's not a good solution, but I don't need 3D acceleration very often.
I have no hope that ATI has the ability to write a reasonable driver in the
future :-( This is really embarassing, they should release their sources and
it will be fixed in two days.
Nils