[ltp] R51 - OSD not working

Ingo van Lil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:59:25 +0200

On 09 Apr 2005, Florian Dorpmueller wrote:

> From "echo $DISPLAY" as user I get  ":0.0" and "echo "hello world" |
> osd_cat" gives me "Error initializing osd: Default font not found". Setting
> a user font in /etc/tpbrc does't change anything for this.

OK, I now had a look at the xosd source code to figure this one out: The
default font is hard-coded to
"-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--*-*-*-*-c-*-*-*" and it looks like
that font has to be available even if the user (or, in your case, tpb)
specifies a different font to use. For some reason your system seems to
lack this font[1], so you have basically three choices:

- find out why the font isn't there and make it available,
- patch the xosd source to use a different default font or
- forget about OSD.

        Cheers,
            Ingo

[1] Try running this from a terminal:
xterm -fn -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--*-*-*-*-c-*-*-*