[ltp] How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:08:08 -0400

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 21:52 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> 	At the suggestion of one of my colleagues, I tried moving from
> apm (which has never failed me), to acpi (where I've heard nothing but
> horror stories). I compiled up an acpi-enabled kernel, added a 'lid'
> script in /etc/acpi/events, and ran the following command after
> booting to this new kernel:
>
> 	echo mem > /sys/power/state
you don't want to do that...
instead you should remove some troublesome modules first.

> 	After that, my T42p turned into a brick.
I'm surprised... when i did what you did (on a t40p) i was unable to
resume, but a long hold of the power button took care of my trouble.

I've heard a number of  people say that they have acpi working well on a
t42p... you might consider comparing your bios and embedded controller
rev to the list archives.  Also I strongly recommend a very recent
kernel (i'm using 2.6.11.6 with one small radeon patch to avoid
excessive power consumption during suspend - which i don't think you'll
need since you have a different video subsystem)

I've found acpi to be far superior to apm in the domain of power
consumption.  I've added over an hour to my run time since switching.

In addition suspend/resume time seems rather quicker that under apm.

I hope this bad experience does not dissuade your from acpi forever.

best wishes

brad