[ltp] How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:17:43 -0400 (EDT)

> > 	echo mem > /sys/power/state

> you don't want to do that... instead you should remove some
> troublesome modules first.

	What troublesome modules should I remove? usb_uhci? ath_hlan?

> I'm surprised... when i did what you did (on a t40p) i was unable to
> resume, but a long hold of the power button took care of my trouble.

	That definately didn't work in my case.

> Also I strongly recommend a very recent kernel (i'm using 2.6.11.6
> with one small radeon patch to avoid excessive power consumption
> during suspend - which i don't think you'll need since you have a
> different video subsystem)

	As I mentioned originally, I was using 2.6.11.7, which is even
more recent than yours.

> I've found acpi to be far superior to apm in the domain of power
> consumption.  I've added over an hour to my run time since
> switching.

	I've never yet seen a 100% success story with it, but I have
seen thousands (yes, _thousands_) of stories from people who have
tried, and become so utterly frustrated that nothing works, that they
went back to APM.

> In addition suspend/resume time seems rather quicker that under apm.

	Well, the suspend part of that 'echo' command worked, but
resume never happened, once it suspended, it was dead, and I had to
disassemble it to yank that backup battery to get it back.

> I hope this bad experience does not dissuade your from acpi forever.

	Where are the docs on how to configure it properly? After
searching Google for about a full week straight, I haven't yet found
_one single instance_ where someone has it working correctly, and
provided instructions or links to anything that would help.

	I guess once I figure it out, I'll be the first to write it
all down in detail.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com