[ltp] How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Steve Stavropoulos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:10:13 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Brad Langhorst wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 14:12 +0300, Steve Stavropoulos wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> >
> > > I'd rather not have to disassemble the whole laptop (14+ screws on the
> > > bottom) to unplug the backup battery, just so I can resume from suspend,
> > > if I can avoid it.
> > >

> >  Be aware that when you disassemble the laptop, you should replace the
> > screws with new ones. (it may seem extreme at first, but it is absolutely
> > essential)
> I don't think this is actually essential...
>
> I believe the new screws contain a little bit of plastic in the threads
> to keep them from vibrating out.

 You are right, the screws are covered with a nylon coating to prevent
them from loosening. I don't know the extent of the damage done to this
coating when you remove the screw, but I don't think it's worth risking it
(I resently opened a laptop which was using normal screws. The opening was
very easy, because most of the screws where gone and in the inside all
screws were loose and 3 screws where off completely). The hardware
maintance manual for the T4x series has the replacing of the screws as an
absolute requirement. Check it:
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46464

> You can reproduce this effect by using some "loc-tite" which can be
> found at any hardware store.

 Maybe, but I have no idea how effective that would be...

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> 	And where would one obtain new screws?

 Here you will find the part number you want:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46504
(it's 13R2916)
 You can buy it from http://www.com-com.co.uk/parts_08832.ihtml or from
anywhere else...

> I know for a fact that IBM repair does not do this, because my previous
> Thinkpad, a T23, was returned to them at least 7 times for repair in a
> year's time, and some of the screws (due to my own repairs on the unit)
> had some very distinctive scratches on the head. When the laptop was
> returned, those same screws were reinserted by IBM repair. They
> definately opened the case, because the repair involved replacing the
> internal PSU and CPU.

 So you are telling me that the IBM service doesn't follow the IBM h/w
manual.  I can't say I'm suprised :> It's a well known fact that most
technicians don't really care to do a good job and I don't really blame
them...