[ltp] Re: How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:40:11 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

>> If you only want suspend-to-ram, you can do this with ACPI without
>> swsusp2, and practically instantaneously.
>
> 	This is what I tried, and this is what bricked my T42p.
>
> 	I don't mind using suspend-to-ram or suspend-to-disk, but 10
> seconds to suspend and 30-45 seconds to start back up is absolutely
> unacceptable, especially when it takes less than that amount of time
> to shut down cold, and boot up cold.

Sure then, use suspend-to-ram.  You won't need swsusp2: you need
to be clear which kind of suspend you need when asking.  For me,
suspend-to-ram "just works" in the Fedora stock 2.6.10 kernel, so
keep investigating vendor issues I guess.

Also be warned that ACPI suspend-to-ram uses significantly more power
than APM suspend-to-ram - unsure if this has been resolved.  I only use
it for short suspends, and always suspend-to-disk overnight, so, dunno.