[ltp] Re: How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:43:35 -0400

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 04:30:25PM -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>=20
> > If you only want suspend-to-ram, you can do this with ACPI without=20
> > swsusp2, and practically instantaneously.
>=20
> 	This is what I tried, and this is what bricked my T42p.=20
>=20
> 	I don't mind using suspend-to-ram or suspend-to-disk, but 10=20
> seconds to suspend and 30-45 seconds to start back up is absolutely=20
> unacceptable, especially when it takes less than that amount of time=20
> to shut down cold, and boot up cold.

Sounds like thats your answer then.  As you've proven, ACPI S3 won't
work on your system for some reason.  If you contact the ACPI devs they
may be able to give you some debug code to run to get output over, say,
the parport (typical output method used), but you'll have to keep
pulling the cmos battery every time it bricks on you.

The only non-acpi suspend alternatives are APM (which you said you
didn't want to use) and one of the swsusp variants (swsusp1 in the
kernel or swsusp2 patches).  I find the delay of writing to disk is more
than made up for by the convenience of not having to resume all my
previous work (I keep an obscene number of apps and terminals open).  If
you don't find the same, which it seems you don't, you're relegated to
halting and restarting every time.

-m

--=20
"A baby seal walks into a club..."