[ltp] Re: How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:06:12 -0400 (EDT)

> But as you don't seem to want suspend to disk without supernatural
> disk write times, I suggest you do as you've been saying, and stick
> with suspend to ram, and plenteous reboots.

	No no, you've missed my two choices here. Either I:

	a. Use acpi, swsusp2, and risk bricking my laptop again,
	   forcing a backup battery removal and/or 45-second boot
	   times, with STILL no function of my UltraBay or DockII
	   peripherals. Since I can't natively change the UltraBay
	   runtime, nor access the DockII, I have to cold-boot anyway.

	Or...

	b.) Use apm, suspend to RAM, and boot cold to change my
	    UltraBay and access DockII peripherals.

	That's what I'm up against. ACPI _does not_ work with this
model of T42p that I have (2373-Q1U), or there is something in the
latest-and-greatest bios or EC revision that ACPI doesn't like. Either
way, ACPI is a no-op for suspending to ram.

	If swsusp2 can work _with_ apm, and _without_ ACPI, I'd be
willing to give it a try.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com