[ltp] Re: How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Meidinger Chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:02:00 +0200

> > And on the basis that you said a 30-45 second resume time was
> > absolutely unacceptable to you, I suggest you abandon looking at it
> > anyway.
>
> 	Having to disassemble the laptop to remove the backup battery
> at every suspend is even more unacceptable. I'd be willing to
> give the
> 45-second bootup a try, if it worked on my laptop... it doesn't, so
> that's not even an option, even if it was a 1-second bootup.

Having just gotten suspend to disk to work with my t42p yesterday (i finally
decided to invest the time) i was rereading this thread.

Dave: some comments

1. don't make people on the list responsible for your frustrations. That's
very asocial when people want to help you understand questions that you
asked for help with.

2. did you remember the kernel parameters pci=noacpi and acpi_sleep=s3_bios
? I'm not sure if everyone needs them, but i do on my 2374-HTG with current
BIOS.

3. What is worrying you so much about a 45 second start time? I would like
to see a film of you starting full runlevel 5 workstation on cold boot in
less than that. You're 20 seconds down by the time the IBM splash is gone
and grub is booting the kernel - maybe 15 if you only have one kernel and
have no grub wait time. After that by the time linux is loaded, disks are
mounted, services are started (I assume you do work on the machine and need
a couple of services) and x is ready for login there is no way you are at
less that 45 seconds.

[If you're like me, you have are cunning enough to put the machine in the
dock, press the power button and go get a coffee. On a cold boot, i get back
and have to log in and wait for my WM to start. If you are a KDE user (which
i'm not) you may be waiting a long time, but any WM needs a while,
particularly if it has some applications to open in order to restore the
session.

tl;dr --> another advantage of suspending time-wise is that when the machine
comes out of suspend it is all ready, and you don't have to start your WM of
choice.]

Using your method, you now have the pleasure of starting every application
you like to use (or if you scripted this, like i do for my normal work
environment) you will still need to navigate to the proper documents, and if
you have multiple terminals open you will only have one $HISTFILE / user.
<-- This is, for me personally, a biggie because i have different terminals
on different desktops where i do different things. Suspend / Resume is a lot
easier than having differnt histfiles for each ptsX.

Using the acpi method with (oh god!) 45 second wait time, i enter my
password in xscreensaver and jump right back in where i was. All of my VM's
run perfectly without needing to suspend them each seperatly as i used to
have to, so there's another place to save time.

4. The coroner has pronounced this thread dead.

Cheers,

Chris Meidinger