[ltp] Mails from ATI about the Suspend-To-Ram problem with fglrx drivers

Peter Frühberger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:20:14 +0200

Nils wrote:
> Hi Flori,
> yes, I will write a short howto, but in the moment exists some big problems I
> haven't solved:
>
> 1.) After resuming the ATI card consumes much more power. (10W more)
> 2.) The fgl_glxgears utility freezes the laptop after resuming, but before
> it's working correctly.
>
> (both problems can be solved if you restart X, but this is no final solution)
>
> Suspend-To-Disk should work without the vbetool trick, because the card is
> initiallized during bootup. I will check it in the next days.
>
> I think there is something missing to restart the opengl engine or anything
> else. Opengl games working after resuming (sometimes the X crashes), but the
> fgl_glxgears utility breaks always the system.
>
> Nils
>

>>Hi Nils,
>>
>>that sounds very interesting. I think that a lot of people will be exited
>>to make their Thinkpad work with ATI-driver and suspend-to-..
>>
>>Since this thread has become very long, do you feel able to write a short
>>summary or a little HOWTO so that other people can follow your solution
>>easier? (Kernel, settings, patches, changes in XF86Config-4, sleep.sh,
>>etc.)
>>
>>One more question: Is suspend-to-disk also possible with the ATI-driver? I
>>use this much more than S3.
>>
>>Greetings,
>>Flori
>>

>>>This is the debian way. (tested with debian sarge)
>>>apt-get install vbetool
>>>
>>>my /etc/acpi/sleep.sh :
>>>
>>>sync
>>># save state:
>>>vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/vbestate
>>>chvt 1
>>>sync
>>>#------------------- [ Enter Sleep Mode ] -----------------------------
>>>hwclock --systohc
>>>echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
>>>hwclock --hctosys
>>>#------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>--- # Video Bios to default
>>>vbetool post
>>># restore state
>>>vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/vbestate
>>># change to X Server
>>>chvt 7

What is happening, if you save the state just at the first boot up. and
alwas restore this saved vbestate image?

Peter

- --
		    Key-ID:     0x1A995A9B
		    keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Fingerprint: 4606 DA19 EC2E 9A0B 0157  C81B DA07 CF63 1A99 5A9B