[ltp] Mails from ATI about the Suspend-To-Ram problem with fglrx drivers

Mario Limonciello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:47:12 -0400

Nils wrote:

>Hi Mario,
>

>>Also as for this power consumption thing - how are you able to tell that
>>you are using about 10W more power from the ATI problem?
>>

>I check the power consumption :
>cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state | grep "present rate"
>or
>cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state | grep "present rate"
>Before resuming I need 14-15W (with wlan) and after resuming I need 23-24W and
>I hear the fan. (I can solve this with a simple
>command: /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit /bin/false -- :1)
>

>>I'm not running into the same problems you have with fgl_glxgears
>>crashing after resume.  What exactly happens to your crash?
>>

>If I start fgl_glxgears after resuming I see a black window from fgl_glxgears,
>but I can't do anything except moving the mouse pointer for some seconds and
>then it freezes too. No log entries or errors in dmesg or /var/log/Xfree*
>

>>My plans are to never suspend in console mode, so its not really
>>relavent to me if it won't suspend in console.  However if for you the
>>problem is that you cant save and restore a vbestate in console, just do
>>a ps aux | grep "X" to find out if X is running, and if its not have
>>some different settings in your suspend script.
>>

>I don't want to resume from console. It's also not important for me.
>

>The differences between our systems are that I use Xfree 4.3.0 and you are
>using Xorg ?.?. This can be the reason and I would be happy if a simple
>upgrade can solve this issue. (I installed Xfree because there exists no
>official packages for debian sarge in the moment)
>
>Please write my a mail, that you have no problems with too much power
>consumption. fgl_glxgears is working always at your laptop with no problem ?
>Do you use any frame buffer in console mode ?
>
>Nils

Nils,

I'll checkout my power consumption after I'm done with my current
recompile of gcc.

As for console frame buffer,

[kernel config]

#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y
CONFIG_FB_RADEON_I2C=y

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

[/kernel config]

I've got radeon framebuffer compiled in, and I'm using morph-sources6
for my kernel sources.

My grub launch for the frame buffer is:

title Gentoo 2.6.11-morph6 Kernel ACPI
root (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/boot/kernel-2.6.11-morph6-acpi ro root /dev/hda3
resume2=swap:/dev/hda2 video=radeonfb:ywrap,pmipal,1600x1200-16@60
acpi_sleep=s3_bios

I have yet to see any issues with fgl_glxgears, but I have to admit I
don't run it all that often ;)

Also, yes I am using Xorg.  I am on a gentoo distro, so what can I say -
I like the bleeding edge.

I'll let you know later about power consumption after a resume.

Mario