[ltp] Re: How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Rob Browning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:21:09 -0500

"David A. Desrosiers" <desrod@gnu-designs.com> writes:

> 	Having to disassemble the laptop to remove the backup battery
> at every suspend is even more unacceptable. I'd be willing to give the
> 45-second bootup a try, if it worked on my laptop... it doesn't, so
> that's not even an option, even if it was a 1-second bootup.

One thing that you may already know, but that was critical for my
T41p, was to build the kernel with "Local APIC support on
uniprocessors" disabled entirely.  I don't know if that's still
necessary.

In case it helps, the arguments I pass to an essentially unmodified
2.6.11 kernel are:

  root=/dev/hda2 resume=/dev/hda1 acpi_sleep=s3_bios notsc ro

I'm not certain that all of these are still required, and of course
this I have a different machine, but suspend to disk works just fine
nearly all the time.  The only difficulty I ever have is that
occasionally it takes a *very* long time to write the data to disk.
It's rare, but it happens; the disk light flickers very quickly but
faintly during the whole process.  Most of the time suspend to disk is
more than fast enough for my purposes.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu