[ltp] Mails from ATI about the Suspend-To-Ram problem with fglrx drivers

Mario Limonciello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:45:04 -0400

Nils wrote:

>Hi Mario,
>thank you  !!!! Great work!
>That's really a very good solution. It's easy and working great, DRI,
>suspend-To-Ram (and it's very fast!)
>

>This is the debian way. (tested with debian sarge)
>apt-get install vbetool
>
>my /etc/acpi/sleep.sh :
>
>sync
># save state:
>vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/vbestate
>chvt 1
>sync
>#------------------- [ Enter Sleep Mode ] -----------------------------
>hwclock --systohc
>echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
>hwclock --hctosys
>#---------------------------------------------------------------------------
># Video Bios to default
>vbetool post
># restore state
>vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/vbestate
># change to X Server
>chvt 7
>

>You can add modprobe/rmmod usbstuff, but I don't need it in the moment.
>
>Nils

Nils,

About the power issues - you are right I do have higher power usage
after a resume ;-) .

I tried your fake X server trick, and it seems to help with maybe 2-3
watts difference, but still there is something going on here.
Also, I had to do that before restoring vbestate, not just before
switching vt's, or I would get display corruption.

Are you having still this couple of watts difference?  Hows this sound -
I got this vbestate stuff down so you get the power issues solved and
we'll be even :).

mario