[ltp] Mails from ATI about the Suspend-To-Ram problem with fglrx drivers

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:59:23 -0400

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 13:06, after a long battle with technology,
Michael Stilkerich wrote:
> * Mario Limonciello <mario.mailing@gmail.com> [2005-04-13 19:01]:
> > radeonfb, then you need to save your vbestate, before going back
> > into X you will have to restore it.  As long as you do this, your
> > fine.
> uhm, is there any way on automating this? I.e. is there a
> configuration possibility somewhere that allows binding a user
> defined action to the ALT-CTRL-F? bindings?

Yes, but it won't be as easy as you might expect.  X captures a number
of key combinations directly; Ctrl-Alt- (Backspace, keypad+, keypad-,
F[1-12].).  The xorg.conf options "DontZap", "DontVTSwitch", and
"DontZoom" can make X ignore those key combinations.  You could
theoretically put the DontVTSwitch option in your xorg.conf, then use
xbindkeys to execute a shell script when you pressed Ctrl-Alt-F? .

The real problem is that the shell script thus executed may not be able
to do "chvt N", since root (not the user) probably owns the vt that X
is running on.  I suppose you could make chvt SUID, though....

--
   He is a rhythmic movement of the penguins, is Tux.
   --MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish