[ltp] SuSE 9.3 on R40, power drain in S3, no C3 running X

Christoph Singer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:42:21 +0200

Hi all,

yesterday I got SuSE 9.3 (SuSE kernel version 2.6.11.4-20a) and
installed it on my R40 2722-CDG. There were absolutely no problems
during installation. It was the first time I installed a SuSE system and
both Suspend-to-ram and suspend-to-disk just worked out of the box!
(after enabling suspend in Yast, which is disabled by default.) Even the
Wlan connection (ipw2100) is still there after resuming.

Nevertheless, there are still two problems:

1. The power drain problem when suspending to ram (battery empty after 10h).
I just tried to follow the discussion on this problem in the archive of
this list, but since I'm no expert in kernel hacking and graphics
drivers I'm feeling lost in the details of this discussion.
Could someone please sum up the state of this problem and it's solution,
and tell me what do to?
(as I already said, I even don't know what graphics driver I use (just
installed by Yast...), but I think I'm able to recompile a kernel if
someone tells me exactly what patches to apply to which files and what
configuration options to set)

2. I see the problem "C3 state is not entered when running X, but is
entered when switching to a text console (while X is still running)"
that was discussed on this list some days ago.
This problem does not seem to be related to usb modules (as some posters
reported), since unloading usb modules does not help, and on the other
hand C3 works in a virtual text console even if usb modules are loaded.
Are there any solutions?

Christoph