[ltp] vbestate works, but...

Niel Lambrechts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:24:05 +0200

Hi guys,

First off, Mario, well done on discovering the vbestate solution, Ive been
waiting on ATI since January 2004 and contacted them countless times!

That said, could someone please confirm if this results in a higher power
consumption after resuming from either S3/S4?
My battery will only last 1-1.5 hrs if I resume using vbestate instead of
3-3.5 hrs, I dont see anything strange using top/ps so it must be BIOS
controlled? Maybe some VESA power-saving mode setting gets lost when
suspending?

Also, maybe we can contact ATI to inform them that this type of utility
makes a difference, perhaps it could open their eyes to the root cause?

For those who care, I use the vbestate resume solution on a Thinkpad
R50P/FireGL T2 128, SuSE 9.2, ACPI, and can resume from S3 (suspend to RAM)
or S4 (suspend to disk) using Xorg.

Regards,
Niel