[ltp] Fingerprint reader already supported?

Thomas Strobel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:03:24 +0200

>> Hello there,
>>
>> this is the first time I'm using a mailinglist, so please be patient
>> with me.
>> Now to my question. I bought an IBM T42 with integrated fingerprint
>> reader. Does anybody know if this device is already supported under
>> Linux? I have already found some threads, but there I couldn't figure
>> out if somebody and when who is working on it. I am very interested in
>> getting this fingerprint reader supported and would like to offer my
>> help, also I don't have too much experience in developing
>> software. But
>> I think it could worth a try ;-).
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>> Thomas
>
>Thomas,
>
>        I was looking for a developer for this. I have all the information
>required
>to do the driver, but I'm not a developer. The company itself decided to
>make a driver as well. But they haven't released one. I don't know what we
>should do, either send e-mails to the company that made the hardware and
>that told me they could make the drivers, or if we should look for more
>developers interested in developing this.
>
>- Alejandro

Hi Alejandro,

I think it would be the best to try both ;-). If you could give me the address
of the company that build this fingerprint reader I would write an e-mail to
ask for a driver. And if you could give me the informations required for
writing a driver I could ask some friends to have a look at it. Maybe that
way we can find some developers that work together with the company so that
work doesn't have to be done twice.

Thomas

PS: I don't know if this reply will get listed in the right thread, but if not
could anybody give me an hint where I can read how to do it correctly?