[ltp] GRUB loader on Thinkpad

Glenn-KPU linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:05:09 -0800

I'm having difficulty using GRUB to boot a WinXP partition on my Thinkpad
T30.
I've been using Grub to boot a similar configuration that I've been
running on this laptop since SuSE 7.x the only difference being that the
WinOS was Windows 2000, and not XP. The CDROM that I am installing XP from
came with the Thinkpad and is an IBM packaging of the OS. Basically the
configuration is (1) swap partition, (1) partition for linux, (1) for
the Windows configuration and (1) shared partition that I store files
on. Fstab file is listed below. The error message that I'm getting from
GRUB is:

        root (hd0,0)
        	Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xc
        chainloader +1

The GRUB config file is also listed below. I'm currently using SuSE 9.2.

Any ideas? The Windows partition is the first on the disk, so that
shouldn't be a problem.

Is it possible that the IBM WinXP installation disk is installing a
recovery partition on the HD that is not showing up on the FSTAB and is
skewing my mapping?

Thanks in advance for wisdom, advice and relevant insights.

Glenn

Fstab is: (with /dev/hda1 the WindowsXP boot target)

/dev/hda3    /    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr   1 1
/dev/hda1    /windows/C      vfat
users,gid=users,umask=0002,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/hda4   /windows/D       vfat       defaults    0 0
/dev/hda2   swap             swap       pri=42      0 0
devpts     /dev/pts          devpts     mode=0620,gid=5   0 0
proc      /proc              proc       defaults          0 0
usbfs     /proc/bus/usb      usbfs      noauto            0 0
sysfs     /sys               sysfs      noauto            0 0
/dev/dvd  /media/dvd         subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

The GRUB file is:

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,2)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title SUSE LINUX 9.2
    kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 vga=0x317 selinux=0
splash=verbose resume=/dev/hda2 showopts desktop elevator=as
    initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
windows###
title Windows
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
failsafe###
title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX 9.2
    kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 showopts ide=nodma
apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume selinux=0 barrier=off nosmp noapic
maxcpus=0  3
    initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd