[ltp] Wireless things

Michael Olbrich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:36:17 +0200

Hi!

Well, that realy depends. I'm not exactly sure about the R51 but on my
R40 the situation is the following:
The led is controled by software. The windows driver makes it light up
whenever it is sending (and reveiving?). My current linux driver lights
it up whenever the card is active (or when the driver is loaded? I'm not
sure right now). That's for the atheros chip with the madwifi driver.
I am guessing it's the same for the intel chip.
To make sure you are not sending at all, make sure you unload the
driver. I don't know what the current status is, but with older versions
of the driver that significantly changed the power consumption. Better
save than sorry, right?

Michael