[ltp] Alternative to buying a CDR/DVD-ROM for x4 ultrabase

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:28:09 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Tony wrote:

> I am looking into an IBM X40 for my next linux laptop.  The
> price/performance is a little steep.  IBM is presently running a
> special with a base model and ultrabase included, however, from all
> that I read there is no (minimal) CD-ROM available for the ultrabase.
> So I still must fork out an additional ~$150 for a CDR-DVD that I
> don't need (I have a burner in my desktop).  Has anyone found any any
> cheap alternatives for just a CD-ROM that mount in the x4 ultrabase?

Look into one of those nifty USB enclosures. You can stick a CD drive,
CDRW drive, or even a DVD driver/burner into one of those things. USB
enclosures can be had for under $30 new, and you can use any old generic
CD or DVD drives with them. If this works for you, and it should, then
you wouldn't even need to shell out for the ultrabase.

I've done this with my ancient 770Z, with only a USB 1.1 port, so surely
it would work with later model TPs.