[ltp] R51 on Mandrake?

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:33:00 +0200

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:25:43 +0200, Luca Formaggia
<luca.formaggia@fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> anybody out there is using the Mandrake distribution 10.1 on a TP R51?
> I have installed it and everything works fine a part CPU scaling and
> suspend. I'd like to know of the experience of any other Mandrake users.

I have an R51 1829-R6G and I'm running Mandrake 10.1 (will upgrade to
LE2005 shortly).

CPU scaling is working fine with powernowd and the speedstep-centrino
module. If I remember correctly, I modified the probe_centrino() function
in /etc/init.d/cpufreq to recognize my processor. "cat /proc/cpuinfo" says:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 13
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
[...]

So I added '-o "$model" = "13"' to the test so that I didn't have to
manually load speedstep-centrino. I also fiddled with the cpufreqd (note
the "d") config, I lowered all minimum freqs to 0%, otherwise the cpu
stood at high freq when idle and AC-connected.

As for suspending, I don't use it, but it was working when I tested. I
have acpi enabled and I'm using gpl ati drivers. The only problem I
noticed is when I wake up after suspend-to-ram (not -to-disk), after a
while the wired NIC stops working and a reboot is needed. When I upgrade
the system and get a new kernel with ibm_acpi and all, I'll try again with
suspending, but now I mostly use the computer at home and plugged, so I
don't really need it.